Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tuesday's Treasures : Junky to Funky

Most of my regular readers know that Gup and I love to watch decorating shows and love decorating ourselves. Especially when he gets to either build something or we find something great and get to refinish it. I discovered a new show on DIY a few months back and really have enjoyed it. It is called Junky to Funky. It is so cool to watch the things they get and what they end up turning them into. If you are into this sort of thing I recommend watching it.

We went browsing different yard sales with Crabgirl and Critter about a month ago and had two awesome finds.We are going to redo them both and incorporate them into the dining room I think. We have a definite spot for the window and a "maybe" spot for the trunk.

Here is the window: ( bought for $3.00)


This one is probably going to get an antique black finish on it so it will pop against the rag rolled wall in the dining room and it will hang above the little Bistro table that sits over in the corner. We are thinking about adding some plants as well since it has a built in planter..lol We are thinking a nice hanging ivy maybe? Any one have a suggestion on a great hanging plant that is great for indoors that requires little to no sun? Oh yeah and we plan on making it a mirror buy adding one to the back of it.

Next is one of my favorite finds ever...

The Trunk: was marked $20.00...we paid $10.00
The lady seen we were interested and wanted us to take it ..lol she said it was a project that she started and she didn't want to put it back in her garage..Yeah for us.



Now we both seen great potential in this trunk. It is beautiful if you look past the white primer the lady sprayed over the metal and wood. The metal is so pretty and detailed...We just wish she had never sprayed over it. *sigh* oh well ....This is Gup's baby now. He has taken on this project alone because he has a clear vision of what he wants it to look like. He has started with the fist phase of a faux rust look technique on the hinges...Note it is only in phase one of that so far..Also he is starting a faux patina look on the metal. and I think some other parts will be antique black and other faux wood grain. I am sure it is going to look spectacular when he is finished. I will be sure to post pics of the finished projects as they get done.

So what do you think? Any suggestions on what you think would look good on either? Do you have any projects like this? Do any of you like doing this sort of thing?..lol

8 comments:

  1. Very cute stuff! I am very non-creative about these things but will come back to see what suggestions you get. You remind me of my sister, she loves those shows and also hunting for cool stuff like this. I'll tell her about funky junk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:51 PM

    IF I were to start another hobby over here my hubby would freak. Let us know what they look like finished.

    Thanks for the encouragement.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Thanks for accepting my battle on BE and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My problem is I always start stuff but never finish it.
    Joe B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:56 PM

    Oh - I love both 'junks' - too cool. I love the idea you have for both project. I can't give you any advice on plants. I seem to NOT have a green thumb and everything dies under my care :(
    BTW - I just tagged you *grin* from My Lighter Side with the 22-Meme

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, i just saw this trunk on someone else's blog.... but can't remember who?!?!?!
    are you related? marrried?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought antique windows from a junk store and did a stained glass look to them. They turned out really neat and are hanging above my kitchen sink. Since I don't have an actual window there it beats looking at the wall when I'm doing dishes.

    I tried doing a crackle thing on my kitchen cabinets, but it didn't work right so good luck to guppy doing the patina thing I think it's a similar process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that window!

    ReplyDelete

You Bless Me

It has been awhile since I've blogged. Does anyone still blog anymore? I used to blog daily and look forward to visiting all my blog fri...